My name is Chireal Shallow. I am a psychologist, sleep expert, published author, devoted mother of four, and founder and director of the International Naturally Nurturing Children's Sleep Clinic. I am also a prolific writer, teacher and trainer on children's sleep issues.
Reading your child's behaviour can be easy, and understanding that behaviour can also be easy. The next step is doing something about that behaviour. Now that's what I call parenting, and I am here to help you achieve this.
If you have a child – or children – with sleep issues, please get in touch with me. I’ll help you all get a good night’s sleep.
My sleep clinic, Naturally Nurturing, combines cognitive behavioural approaches (which examine how children think, behave and feel) with systemic practice (which deflects blame by examining the role of each family member) and attachment theory (which focuses on building trust, reassurance and bonding between parent and child).
I believe in a child's right to receive comfort, a parent's right to demonstrate love, and everyone's right to a night of uninterrupted sleep. I do not expect children to cry themselves to sleep. It's gentle on you, it's gentle on infants, toddlers and children, and most important of all, it works.
Inspired by the challenges I was facing with my own children, way back in 1993 I applied my Childhood Development qualifications and Masters in Psychology towards the study and development of sleep techniques. To my delight these techniques proved to be so successful that today my expertise in handling children's sleep and behavioural problems is highly sought after by well known media personalities and clients across Europe, and beyond.
I went on to combine my knowledge, skills and expertise and transformed them into an accredited training course. My clinic is now classed as a centre of excellence for parental empowerment and professional education. It is also the first of its kind, training Health Visitors across the UK in sleep consultancy. Undoubtedly this has now made it the clinic of choice for many parents and professionals, primarily because of its success but also because it is governed and regulated by The Association of Sleep Consultants.
My media and industry experience and accreditations
• I am the Director for the Association of Sleep Consultants, which I set up. I contribute regularly to media organisations and am well respected within the childcare and training arena. I am also a member of the British Sleep Society, The Primary Care Sleep Group and The British Psychological Society.
• TV psychologist for Channel 4, I am a qualified and accredited practitioner psychologist and CBT therapist. Working both privately and for the NHS, I have brought together my knowledge, skills and expertise and transformed them into an accredited training course; making my clinic a centre of excellence for parental empowerment and professional education.
• I have made numerous TV and radio appearances namely, GMTV, BBC 1, Five, Sky news, BBC Radio 2 and 4, LBC. I have appeared in national newspapers, (The Guardian, The Independent, The Daily Mail, The Daily Mirror) and have written articles both for national and international parenting magazines - Junior, Practical Parenting, and Prima, to name just a few. I am also a contributor on children’s sleep issues for Mother & Baby Magazine and Your Family Magazine and have been a sleep advisor to Best Bear Childcare.
• I am a regular Sleep Guru for BBC Asian Network Radio Station and I have just finished working on a series documentary for Channel 4. This documentary showcases my method and highlights the effectiveness of my gentle sleep system, the 100% Gentle Sleep System, and the difference between that and “controlled crying".
• I work as a sleep expert advisor to major manufacturing and production companies who supply sleep products and aids, namely the Natural Mat Company and The Little Green Sheep.
• I work with Hallmark cards endorsing their children's sleep book for the Forever Friends brand. I am currently working on a campaign with Silent Night beds on the launch of their children's mattress.